Sunday, February 3, 2008

"African Documentary"

When one hear the term "African documentary," it's easy to assume that the documentary in question simply has something to do with African culture, its economy, etc. Following that logic, this category would include documentaries made by non-Africans. In my opinion, this is incorrect. I'm not saying that only Africans should make documentaries about Africa; recently, the American-made documentary "Darfur Now" hit theatres with a some buzz (thanks in no small part to actors turned activists George Clooney and Don Cheadle). I haven't seen the film, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that most of its subject matter has to do with people and events in Africa. This doesn't make it an "African documentary;" it's simply an American documentary about Africa. Another example I'll use to back my opinion up is Woody Allen. He's one of our great contemporary American film makers (in my humble opinion) and most of his films take place in his hometown of New York. His last three films, however, take place entirely in Europe. I think it would be a little absurd to call his latest projects "European films" simply because they take place there. So while I'm not discrediting documentaries about Africa that are not made by African filmmakers, African filmmakers are the only individuals who can make "African documentaries."

No comments: